How can energy be conserved? You can save energy in many ways both inside and outside of your home by engaging in a number of simple activities, changing a few habits, and replacing certain products with energy efficient alternatives. In fact, when you take the time to find out how you can be cutting back on the energy you use, you’ll likely be quite surprised at how easy it is to make the little changes that will save energy and your money, and at how little these changes inconvenience your life.
With that in mind, here are some answers to the how can energy be conserved question in terms of your home appliances:
- When it comes time for you to replace your old appliances, choose models that are known for their energy efficiency. Look for appliances that feature the Energy Star label. In addition, purchase the product that will best accommodate your needs, don’t choose the largest one that is available. For instance, you’ll discover that front load clothes washers reduce hot water use by as much as 70% compared to standard washing machines.
- Set your washing machine on the cold or warm water setting. Washing in hot water robs a lot more energy and also causes the production of a lot more carbon dioxide (CO2), which is harmful to the environment, causing air pollution and contributing
to global warming.
- Turn down the temperature in your refrigerator. How can energy be conserved by doing this? In terms of total household electricity consumption, refrigerators take up 20%. To ensure you are conserving as much energy as possible, put a thermometer in your fridge and freezer to monitor the temperature, which you will want to keep at 37°F for the fridge and 3°F for the freezer. Also, make certain the refrigerator doors are sealed tight when closed.
- Check your water heater thermostat. Most thermostats are set for 140°F but you can save plenty of energy by turning down the water heater thermostat to 120°F, a temperature that is typically sufficient for the average home.
- Clean or replace the air filters of your furnace and/or air conditioner unit on a regular basis. Clean filters means the machine
doesn’t have to work as hard to draw air through filters, which can save up to 5% in energy use.
As you can see, there are many ways that you can make simple adjustments to your home appliances in your effort to reduce your energy consumption. Therefore, the question you need to focus on finding the answer to isn’t how can energy be conserved, but what changes can be made in the home that will result in the best energy saving outcome that benefits you.